Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sitting up and a realtor

Two random things for this rainy, dreary Wednesday in Virginia.

First, I love this picture from yesterday. One, Emma is smiling and it is very, very hard to capture one of her smiles. Two, she is sitting up like such a big girl. She'll be 5 months on Friday.


Second, here's the house that I am now obsessing about.


It is in Salem, Virginia just a few minutes from my two brothers (which means 7 nieces and nephews), my mom, and hubby's family.

For me, the number one criteria for a new house is walkability. Where we currently live in Northern Virginia, we are within a one mile walk of 3 Starbucks, a Panera, Chipotle, Uno's Pizzeria, Wal-Mart, Kohls, 2 grocery stores, a movie theater...the list goes on and on.

I love to walk. I get so much joy out of loading Emma into the jog stroller and being out and about. I just can't imagine living in a place where I have to drive to get to everywhere I want to go. The house pictured above is right off the Main Street in Salem and within walking distance of loads of places (most importantly, a coffee shop and a fantastic park!). There are definitely areas where we could get more for our money but the trade-off isn't worth it to me if it means feeling stranded in a gigantic neighborhood.

Well, anyways, we met with our first realtor today to discuss selling our condo. It went ok. Home prices peaked about 3 years ago and it is disappointing knowing how much we could have gotten had we sold then. But regardless we'll make a nice little profit that should serve as a decent downpayment.

I'll be disappointed if this house goes off the market before we are ready to buy, but I'm reassuring myself that we'll find something just as fantastic.

Now, we just have to figure out that pesky little issue of jobs. Ahh, to win the lottery!

5 comments:

  1. have you considered putting an offer contingent on the sale of your condo? i mean, chances are they won't take it but you never know, plus, if they reject it and it's still on the market when your condo sells you can always put in another offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Emma!! What a big girl! I love that pic too...adorable!

    That house sounds like its perfect for you all! Hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Emma!

    Salem is out by me! I grew up in NoVa, but love living in Roanoke, Hope you are able to get the house! Good luck with job hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that big girl!!! I hope you're able to figure out the job situation soon! That house sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an adorable picture of your baby girl! Love it! :)

    And I also love the house! And I hear you about walkability. It's so important. I don't have that with my current house and I hate it. I really hope this move works out for you guys. Living so close to family would be a huge blessing I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete